Updated patterns!

I'm in the process of updating my old patterns, particularly the bibs, to include charts. I'm rewriting some of the directions to make the patterns even easier and including alternative methods for beginning the bibs and for making the ties. Look for these patterns in the sidebar to see which ones have been added. It's a slow process, but eventually, they'll all be there!



Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Owlie

I'm not much for glitter or beads or shiny doodads, so I've never added any to my knitting.  However, when I saw these cute socks, I decided the time was right to try it.  Owlie is a free pattern on Ravelry and is just perfect for a bird loving grandson.














This is a well written pattern and includes links for tutorials for adding the beads.  I used the method with the crochet hook and it went really well.  I don't know if I'd like to do it for a ton of beads, but for this project, it was just fine. 















The tricky part was finding the right size beads.  There are quite a few websites that sell them, but the shipping is more than the actual beads.  I was getting really frustrated until I happened upon this website.  They are fast and the shipping is reasonable.  I've purchased cross stitch supplies for my mom from them lots of time. 
 


I used Knit Picks Essential Kettle Dyed in Oak that was in my stash.  I did decide to change the foot and not knit the owls.  I thought the beads would be rather irritating in a shoe and I didn't like look of the owls without beaded eyes, so I just did a few bands of knit and purl.

Jack really seemed to like them, although I do think he was a little disappointed that they weren't parakeets!

On a personal note, "Jenn" if you read this, I tried to answer your email, but it came back as undeliverable.  I'm not sure why your computer rejected your own address, but the answer to your question is "no, I don't have any patterns that are as small as 35 stitches.  Maybe you could just add an extra stitch on each side of your design as part of a border and use a 37 stitch pattern."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love those socks! I am going to have to go download that pattern and get some brown yarn. Yet another project to put in the queue. ;)

Kathy... said...

Oh How adorable!!! What a lucky little bird watcher. Oh - the eagles are back on their nest again this year. If I remember right, he enjoyed watching our eagle-cam last year.