Updated patterns!

I'm in the process of updating my old patterns, particularly the bibs, to include charts. I'm rewriting some of the directions to make the patterns even easier and including alternative methods for beginning the bibs and for making the ties. Look for these patterns in the sidebar to see which ones have been added. It's a slow process, but eventually, they'll all be there!



Saturday, May 30, 2009

A Lazy Turtle Butt

Now that the nice weather is coming back, it's time to outfit Marty with some new soakers. I really enjoy making them and one of my favorite patterns is the Turtle Butt . It's well written and fun to make. I've posted lots of pictures in earlier posts. The only drawback when you use two colors is having to weave in a million ends, not that I really mind, because the finished product is always so darn cute. Still, I started thinking about what would happen if I just used a self-striping yarn for the whole thing. I knew it would have a nice texture and I was right. Here's the first one:

I used Poems by Wisom Yarns that I picked up in the warehouse at Webs. It was cheap and I had heard it was similar to Kureyon, only softer. Personally, I didn't see the comparison. The colors in the Poems are muted and it didn't make me think of the Noro at all. It also is lightly spun and I discovered that if I pulled too hard, the yarn came apart. It's 100% wool, but it looks like there is mohair in it. I'm also a little disappointed in the color. When it was in the skein, it really looked red, but knitted up it's just a step away from rose. Still, I don't think Marty will complain. He hasn't yet. ;o)

So if one try was good, why not do another? This time I wanted to use the Lion Wool that I had in my stash. The colors were pretty nice, even if the colors didn't stripe. I think it came out pretty neat and I love the texture.

I've never used this yarn before either. I was pleasantly surprised. It's soft and has some heft to it. This might end up being a good night time soaker. Now, I just have to lanolize them and see what happens then. I hope I won't be in for any unexpected surprises!

1 comment:

mle said...

they're beautiful, gma! (thanks!)

now we'll have to get together again soon. :)