Updated patterns!

I'm in the process of updating my old patterns, particularly the bibs, to include charts. I'm rewriting some of the directions to make the patterns even easier and including alternative methods for beginning the bibs and for making the ties. Look for these patterns in the sidebar to see which ones have been added. It's a slow process, but eventually, they'll all be there!



Sunday, January 25, 2009

Calorimetry

Here is a really great knitting project if you're looking for something that is fun, quick, a little different and practical! My niece, Eliza, has beautiful hair and likes to wear it in a ponytail quite often. Unfortunately, (as you probably know) ponytails and hats aren't always compatible. I decided to try the famous Calorimetry pattern, an enlarged headband that buttons at the neckline. Here's Eliza modeling my version (without the ponytail!)

Many of the reviews on Ravelry said that the pattern tends to run big, so I scaled it down. Eliza is nine years old and her head measures 22 1/2" measuring from her nape and around the top of her head. The pattern says to cast on 120 stitches, but I did 88 stitches. The yarn is Cascade 220 (what else?!) and I used U.S. Size 8 needles for a gauge of 5 stitches to the inch.

The headband is made with short rows, but there is no wrapping so if you've never worked with short rows before, this would be a good project to get a feel for the technique. Because I wanted the hat to be scaled down a bit, I also did thirteen repeats of Row 5 instead of fifteen. I thought it also needed a little something to jazz it up so I decided to add the flowers to give it a real feminine touch! I couldn't find the type of flower I was looking for, so I just came up with my own version.

I don't doubt that someone else has already thought these flowers up, but in case you'd like to try them also, here's how I made them. First, I cast on three stitches and knitted an I-cord about 12 inches long and left a sizable tail.

Next I just ran the needle through the cord at about one inch intervals, so it's reminiscent of that ribbon candy you see at Christmas. I just kind of eyeballed it. I wanted five petals, but you could do as many as you like, depending on the length of the cord.

After you have run the needle through the cord, you just pull the tail to gather it up.

Ta da! One flower done. Just run the tails through the hat at the appropriate spot and attach them securely.

I added a french knot with a contrasting color to finish the flower off. The cord for the white flower was purposely a little shorter so that flower would be smaller. The light turquoise flower measures about 2 inches across. The white one is just slightly smaller.

Keep in mind though that the hat stretches, so don't place the flowers too far down, otherwise they'll end up by the ear.
I got to see Eliza play in one of her basketball games yesterday and I have to say that her headband was a huge hit with all the girls. Obviously, she didn't wear it during the game, but on the way out of the gymnasium, lots of parents were commenting on it. I think she was quite pleased with it too.
Oh and in case you're wondering, her team did win. Go Holy Cross!

6 comments:

Kathy... said...

It turned out just great! She's a little doll too - very cute....both! I have never made Calorimetry. It's a favorite of my knitting group, however. (As it is MOST knitting groups, I imagine...LOL)

RoamingKnitter said...

It is so cute and Eliza is a doll, both with the hat and without! I enjoyed knitting the Calorimetry, did it in a varigated yarn. I sure like your idea for the flowers. That added just the right touch.

Alli's Little World of Knitting! said...

Amazing Elaine!! You make everything look so beautiful and so easy! I really love the little flower you created, it makes the Calorimetry Hat!! I knit one of them for myself this past winter and added a back onto it and just love it!

Hugs
Alli

Sue said...

Thanks for the flower instructions. They really add a lot to the hat. I think I'll try some of them on an item I making.

knitandputt said...

Hi, I bought the Limerick Hat pattern after seeing it on your blog. Could you please email me privately? Thanks.

Debbie said...

What a pretty job you did with the Calorimetry! Your "model" looks beautiful in it, but I am sure I don't have to tell you! I like the flowers for decoration too.